Conversion capabilities
John Emmas
2010-05-08 07:30:42 UTC
I've been using gtk-win32 and its associated libraries for about a year or so. The gtk-win32 binaries are compiled using mingw which uses the (now obsolete) Visual C++ 6.0 'C' runtime. This means that the libraries are compatible with mingw (gcc) and with Visual C++ 6.0. With certain caveats, they can also be used with Visual C++ 8.0 which is a much better compiler than the obsolete VC++ 6.0.

Most of the projects I build are ones that were originally written for gcc and Linux. Therefore they use the automake functionality that is common on Linux and Unix platforms. I'm looking for a tool that can read an automake file (such as Makefile.am or Makefile.in) and convert it either to a makefile which can be used with VC++, or (even better) to a VC++ project file.

I just came across Bakefile and wondered if it would be useful for this?

Thanks,

John
Vaclav Slavik
2010-05-08 08:03:13 UTC
Post by John Emmas
I just came across Bakefile and wondered if it would be useful for this?
No. Unless somebody implements an Automake -> bkl convertor, that is.

Vaclav
John Emmas
2010-05-08 09:50:45 UTC
Thanks Vaclav. I'm not very familiar with Bakefile yet - but from what I've read, it allows programmers to define a set of 'rules' which can then be used to generate makefiles (or projects) for commonly used compilers.

Has nobody thought to do the same thing in reverse? i.e. read & filter a makefile (say) and deduce the rules, so that projects can be moved more easily between rival compilers. I imagine that would be quite a useful tool.

Cheers,

John
Vaclav Slavik
2010-05-08 10:17:44 UTC
Hi,
Post by John Emmas
Thanks Vaclav. I'm not very familiar with Bakefile yet - but from
what I've read, it allows programmers to define a set of 'rules' which
can then be used to generate makefiles (or projects) for commonly used
compilers.
That's misleading characterization. Bakefile is the same as Automake: it
takes simple(r) build description as input and produces build rules for
lower-level tools (gmake, vcproj etc.). This is the same thing Automake
does: it takes high-level Makefile.am descriptions and produces
low-level make files. Conceptually, the only difference is that Bakefile
can produce output in different formats, not just one (well, and that it
tries to be more flexible).
Post by John Emmas
Has nobody thought to do the same thing in reverse?
Let's just say that nobody actually *did* it. There may be a reason for
that.

Vaclav
John Emmas
2010-05-08 10:20:54 UTC
Thanks Vaclav. That description has clarified the situation for me.
Vaclav Slavik
2010-05-08 08:07:39 UTC