[bakefile-devel] WIN32 symbol definition in rules\makefile_defs_msvc.bkl
Francesco Montorsi
2010-03-03 22:11:24 UTC
Hi Vaclav,
I've found that for all MSVC formats Bakefile always defines the WIN32
symbol... this is at least misleading on 64bit platforms: all source files gets
compiled with /DWIN32 and with no 64-bit symbols (apparently).

The definition of symbol WIN32 is not really required since the cl compiler
automatically defines the _WIN32 symbol on 32 bit platforms and both the _WIN32
and _WIN64 symbols on 64 bit platforms...
should this be considered a bakefile bug which has to be fixed (by removing the
relative <define>WIN32</define> line) ?

Thanks,
Francesco

PS: this problem was found while discussing 64bit compilation of wxWidgets; see
http://groups.google.com/group/wx-
dev/browse_thread/thread/3c7579dcf0b98567/eeed0161aa30ef31#eeed0161aa30ef31
Vaclav Slavik
2010-03-04 06:24:57 UTC
Post by Francesco Montorsi
The definition of symbol WIN32 is not really required since the cl
compiler automatically defines the _WIN32 symbol on 32 bit platforms
and both the _WIN32 and _WIN64 symbols on 64 bit platforms...
should this be considered a bakefile bug which has to be fixed (by
removing the relative <define>WIN32</define> line) ?
Not so fast. The reason these are defined is -- if memory serves -- that
VC++ "native", manually created projects, define it. So Bakefile does it
to generate as native projects as possible [*], and msvc format does it
to be fully compatible with the project files.

So while yes, I think we can remove them safely, I'd prefer to do
exactly what native projects do (unless it would be too complicated to
implement, in which case just remove WIN32 definition). Do you know what
do manually created projects do in this regard?

Also, does the resource compiler define _WIN32 too?

Regards,
Vaclav

[*] Vadim in particular is quite vocal about having this property.
Francesco Montorsi
2010-03-05 21:06:54 UTC
Post by Vaclav Slavik
So while yes, I think we can remove them safely, I'd prefer to do
exactly what native projects do (unless it would be too complicated to
implement, in which case just remove WIN32 definition). Do you know what
do manually created projects do in this regard?
if I manually create a "Win32 project" using MSVC wizard it indeed
creates a project where the WIN32 symbol is in the preprocessor symbols.
I think that the WIN32 symbol should be removed only from the "msvc" format
and preserved in the MSVC IDE project formats.
Post by Vaclav Slavik
Also, does the resource compiler define _WIN32 too?
yes, it does (although it does not define _WINDOWS -- thus bakefile correctly
adds it currently). But unlike reported above for the preprocessor,
if I manually create a "Win32 project" using MSVC wizard it creates
a project where the WIN32 symbol is NOT in the preprocessor symbols
for the RC compiler.

Francesco
Vaclav Slavik
2010-03-09 07:03:00 UTC

I'm forwarding Vadim's take on this. Short version (and I agree):
nothing is broken by having WIN32 defined, so it's probably best to
leave things as they are.

Vaclav