[bakefile-devel] autoconf: install dependencies
Zbigniew Zagórski
2008-08-28 07:05:11 UTC
Hello,

I've got some problem with install target.

My bakefile contains:
library tinfra
library tinfra_xml
executable unittests (uses both libraries)

Both libraries are installable, unittests isn't.

My concern is that install targets have wrong dependency:

1. 'install' target unnecessarily requires "all" to be built:

install: *all* install_tinfra install_tinfra_xml

2. 'install_tinfra' and 'install_tinfra_xml" doesn't depend on "build
this library"

install_tinfra:
... build instructions
install_tinfra_xml
... build instructions

Above has provokes following problems:

1. "make -jN install" (N > 1) - invoked alone - usually doesn't work
because install_XXX targets don't wait for building libraries

2. "make install_XXX" alone doesn't work because it doesn't require to
build XXX first

3. "make install" unnecessarily tries to build "unittests" which is
not installable and not needed in this case

Do you also consider this as misbehaviour?

If yes I'll report this to Trac and try to prepare patch.

Thanks.
Zbigniew Zag�
Vaclav Slavik
2008-08-28 11:03:17 UTC
Post by Zbigniew Zagórski
Do you also consider this as misbehaviour?
Certainly. I'd say that 1. is "only" annoying, but otherwise mostly
harmless, but 2. is a serious bug.
Post by Zbigniew Zagórski
If yes I'll report this to Trac and try to prepare patch.
Thanks a lot!

Vaclav